Friday 23 May 2014

Flight MH 370

I am very late in this post. I actually wanted a closure on this story before I posted this but unfortunately it is yet to happen till date. There was something about this Malaysian flight, which went missing with 239 people on board from 14 countries, that moved me and made me glued to any news that connected to those who vanished without a trace in the ocean. 
           So, here I was all battle ready since the disappearance of the aircraft and for the next one month (inspite of the rigorous year ending schedule in March), I would religiously follow the story on CNN the first thing in the morning and monitor it nearly real time on the web and on chats. In other words, I was obsessed by it. Even my 12 year old son was surprised about my new found interest. I  tracked the story very closely and as I would soon discover, so were other people who felt the same. I was amazed at the total air time, energy and assets all the countries were already deploying for this and continued to do so. The interest of the media waned over a period and dedicated airtime reduced. They say that time heals everything and a month down the lane, the personal feeling also no longer remains as strong. Thats how it is with us humans, I guess. You move on.    
         Whenever I fly, I have always felt safe knowing that all aircrafts are monitored in real time by the ATCs and our Air Force is always on the alert. So it makes you wonder when you come across such an instance, in such an age, where such a large aircraft (nearly as big as a football field) just disappears from the face of the earth. In this age where its possible to ascertain where your cell phone is after it gets lost. In this age when pets are monitored real time through their collar sims and offenders have tracking bracelets on their ankles. So this was a bit something more than what I could digest easily.
             It has been decided by Malaysian Airlines that it would not allocate the number 370 to any of its other flights. So what has a number got to do with it ? Well a lot perhaps, as this website suggests.   (http://sacredscribesangelnumbers.blogspot.in/2011/08/angel-number-370.html ) .This was probably done to erase any memory of the flight. However, any news related to aviation safety will change all that and the number is never going to be erased from the memories of this generation as long as there are aviation related incidents and as long as there is gravity. 
            Interestingly, there are theories of aliens taking the plane as they had people of most of the ethinicity on board. There are also theories that indicate that the flight never existed. (http://truthernews.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/10-reasons-why-flight-370-never-existed-nuclear-drone-strike-on-d-c-or-nyc-imminent/ )Apart from the above sites, in the process of monitoring the event, I came to know about a cloud sourcing website which  invited anyone on the web just to scan the oceans for any wreckage.(www.tomnod.com). There also are sites that display real time  data on aircrafts ( www.flightradar24.com) and marine traffic  ( www.marinetraffic.com ) . 
             So eventually the batteries on the black box completed its lifespan and and there is no trace of the plane yet. The location which has been shortlisted has an average depth of about 5000 mtrs and it would be humanly impossible to locate the aircraft. Even if does, it would mean expenditure of millions of dollars. My heart goes out to all the family members of the people on board especially those of the crew who are now also seen as suspects.For all I know, the pilots may be heroes. (http://www.wired.com/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/ 
              Earlier today, as I looked outside the window of my car, I saw the number plate of one of the vehicles  and the number 370 looks me at my face which transports me back once again. Thats how it is with us humans, I guess. You hold on.

6 comments:

  1. I just left a long comment :( Where did it go?

    I feel just the same about this issue. I used to follow up on any news of the plane, but not as avidly as you.

    In this time and age, that a plane should just disappear, sounds unbelievable. But here it is. The biggest mystery of our times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :). Ava..it took two years for recovery of the Air France Black box which had crashed into the Atlantic in 2009. The found the floating debris and were able to locate it (aircraft remains in the bottom of the ocean). However, here we're faced with deeper terrain. Hope they have better technology now to recover it earlier thereby giving an early closure for the families of the victims.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.firstpost.com/world/new-search-may-solve-mystery-of-missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-370-within-days-13543682.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.foxnews.com/world/retired-fisherman-claims-he-found-part-malaysia-airlines-mh370-south-australian-waters-report

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://twitter.com/JustXAshton/status/1783966655980486730?t=bjh5CX3SVQTMkHo2abDA5Q&s=19

    ReplyDelete