Sunday 13 April 2014

An angel called Bufi

 With 'Bufi' circa 1992
As I now contemplate getting a canine member for the family, I vaguely recall the day, long time ago, when I was introduced to one.
       It was a cold winter starting up in Gangtok, Sikkim way back in 1988. The clouds had started to gather near the helipad area of the Army cantonment where we used to live. Although it never snowed there, the winter breeze was icy and it was best to be indoors. As I rushed into our home one day, I saw an unfamiliar figure in the house below the bed. Buff...it went, and after a pause there was this muffled Buff again. It  was a feeble noise which suggested that it was a weak malnourished dog. She surely appeared weak but felt quite at home trying to Buff me away..
         We already had a Pomeranian ( a very eccentric one at that) and we didn't need another dog, was my first opinion. The 'Lhasa Apso' which later was named Bufi (obviously) turned out to be the most loving thing I had ever met. She was rare and special as she was brought from high altitude and as far as I can remember, during her entire lifespan, there was no instance of anybody in our house or any visitor feeling any hostility from her. In other words, she was an angel.
         It is said that time flies @ 10x for the canine kind and I recall the time when she was big enough and due for a puppy. Unfortunately, the pup died at the time of birth and she desperately tried to wake it up by continuously licking it for many hours whining with tears running from her eyes. Although at that time I realised the loss she may have felt, I didn't fully understand and comprehend the feeling until , years later, I became a father myself. It must have been torrid time for her but she was back to her usual playful self in a few days time which surprised all of us at home. This probably was her way of dealing with it.
       In a house full of boys (that's me, my brother, an army cook and my Dad's orderly) she was always treated as a female member of the house. She was a sharp contrast to our male dog - A Pomeranian named Tipsy- who probably was the cleanest dog you'd ever meet. So much so that he skillfully used to avoid the puddles of water when he walked. In contrast, Bufi would go where no dog dog ever dared to tread. She would roll around in puddles, dirt, dust and wet mud thoroughly enjoying the experience. Tipsy, the male dog, initially would have a jealous demeanour if more attention was anytime given to Bufi. In time, he realised that competition was stronger and appeared to ignore us  but in reality would continue to observe with the corner of his eyes. Bufi also had a special weapon- A call to Bufi in the house would just end up Bufi just sitting in your lap in about 10 secs flat. This could never be replicated by Tipsy who was 'conservative' by nature and avoided getting comfy on laps.
      As she aged, Bufi had an attack of a disease called 'distemper' for some time which resulted in paralysis of the lower body. We observed incredible resolve in Bufi during that period of time till medication brought about minimum movement. The firm resolve for conquering locomotion that was witnessed by us made her a hero in our family. She was a fighter and she was back on her feet in a short span of time which even amazed the vet.
     As I went away to college, I rarely met her and I remember her to be at her playful best whenever we met even after all the years. It was as though she never grew old. Even though now she's long gone, the memory of the energetic, loving, playful Bufi remains etched in my mind.
      In search of a dog now, I realised that I may have impulsively tried to search for my old pal. Maybe that's the reason why it has been more than a year now and am still looking. Even though a part of me wants her back running around the house with her feeble 'Buff' sounds, I hope that she's somewhere in a better place living a life what she truly deserves- A life of an angel.        

4 comments:

  1. That is a very heartfelt account of your dog, Sonam. Writing is such a wonderful way of sharing and recording memories.

    I hope you soon find a dog you will love as much as you loved Buffi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its said a dog is a man's best friend. I think they're the best teachers too. Think of it courage and resilience, resolve, love and affection
    Buff Buff !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Dogs give unconditional love...They are sometimes better than humans. Buff.

      Delete