Wednesday 2 April 2014

Attachments of a different kind

            Although attachment is the prime reason for suffering, it's sometimes hard to let go of certain things. As time takes a toll on our 10 year old refrigerator, I cannot help but remember the continuous service it has extended all these years, continuously toiling without a break.
             I vaguely remember the day it was bought...The start of summer and the old refrigerator going kaput ( which incidentally was a bigger one than this one). The selection was not very difficult one as there were a few models available in the Army canteen ( Yes...My father helped me get it). The search narrowed down to this Godrej model due to the Malaysian compressor it had which came with a good reputation. It was decided to go for it after a careful but quick decision. As my son was young ( 3-4 yrs old) , the refrigerator was an essential tool which had to do nearly everything, right from keeping the boiled bottles sterilised to keeping the medicines intact. 
              Many years later, the refrigerators objective being achieved, its relentless continuous streak (very much like a spent cricketer after a triple ton) ended and it started to break apart part by part. First the freezer compartment came apart and it needed some carpentry skills (thanks to practical training in engineering) of mine to fix that. Since it was not a frost free refrigerator, it needed to be defrosted time and again and again and again. I understand that this was something which prolonged its life much like going on a vacation and release the stress. Although the refrigerator was smaller than what most of the people I know had, there was no pressure to change it for a new bigger one from my family (although larger LED TVs were non-negotiable). It also helped disposing any food stuff which was more than a day old as there was no space. My wife also wanted to postpone any purchases till 2012 was over and I complied till the uneventful doomsday prophecy. The last two years after that have been tough and cleaning the fridge becomes more difficult for the maid and then the unthinkable happened. The bulb went down. How could it just switch off ? After a quick check it was diagonised that the bulb needed to be replaced. But I felt it was a signal for me to let it go. 
        The Maharashtrian new year - 'Gudi Padva' is a good time to buy stuff where stores give great discounts ( especially when its fallen on March 31 i.e end of the financial year). So with a heavy heart I went about shortlisting the ones that would just be right for us. The compressors have become 'invertor tech ' and the refrigerants 'eco friendly' and most importantly 'frost free'. There was a buy back offer too which I took which now needs me to part with the refrigerator which has spent 10 years with me. AND it was still alive. 
      The delivery boy came in today and set the new LG refrigerator up for me. He enquired whether the old one could be taken now to which I promptly replied ' I still have stuff in it, take it on Saturday'. As if on cue, the compressor in my old trusted 'Godrej'  kick starts.....and gives out the humming sound which makes me feel at home.    

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, but the old order has to change. :)

    ReplyDelete